Tuesday, May 24, 2011

And always in prayer!

"In God's name, I beseech you, let prayer nourish your soul as your meals nourish your body. Let your fixed seasons of prayer keep you in God's presence through the day, and may His presence frequently remembered through it be an ever fresh spring of prayer. Such a brief, loving recollection of God renews a man's whole being, quiets his passions, supplies light and counsel in difficulty, gradually subdues the temper, and causes him to possess his soul in patience, or rather gives it up to the possession of God" Fenelon

It was said of Charles Spurgeon that he glided from laughter to prayer with the naturalness of one who lived in both elements. With him, the habit of prayer was free and unfettered. His life was not divided into compartments as our lives today have become. "I had my quiet-time" some say, before turning to the days tasks. "Prayer meeting tonight" announces the church bulletins, rallying the saints to their weekly hour of prayer. Of course these elements are not wrong, but there's a desire in my heart for the more. To live in constant fellowship with my Father in heaven.
To be ever in touch with God.
To have it as natural for me to pray as it is for me to breathe...

God, let prayer become in every circumstance of life the most natural outpouring of my soul! Let it be the unhindered turning to you for communion and direction! Whether I am in sorrow or in joy, in defeat or in victory, in weakness or in health, in calamity or in success, may my heart leap to meet with you my Dad!"And now brothers, pray without ceasing"

No comments:

Post a Comment